Here is an intense leg stretching Yoga Pose, which is named as Upavistha Konasana and Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend pose in English. In which Upavistha means sitting, seated, Kona stands for Angle. In simple words, this Asana is forward bending with leg stretching. This Asana seems to like easy but doesn’t take it this pose easily. This yoga pose needs more stretching and flexibility in your legs.
It is a very important stance, coz this pose used in many seated bend and twists related Asana as a preparatory pose. If you are comfortable performing this pose, it means you can attempt other seated bend, leg stretching poses easily. There is no repetition for Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend pose and it’s very beneficial for your legs and spinal.
Style of Asana: – Hatha Yoga
Level of Asana: – Intermediate.
Preparatory Yoga Poses
Dandasana, Prasarita Padottanasana, Baddha Konasana, Supta Padangusthasana, Supta Baddha Konasana.
Follow-Up Yoga Poses
Bakasana, Gomukhasana, Baddha Konasana, Malasana, Siddhasana, Padmasana, Supta Padangusthasana
Steps of Upavistha Konasana (Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend)
- First, sit straight with your legs open in a way that they make 90- degree angle with your pelvis.
- Now, keep your toes pointing up as you flex your feet and align your knees.
- At that point, you feel curve in your lower back (for curve you may use prop; Place a firm cushion under your pelvis. The cushion gives your pelvis more stability to tilt forward).
- Then, Keep your palms on the ground, behind your hips.
- Take a long and deep breath in such a way that the sides of your body lift, by making a space in the spine.
- Hang on for a few seconds if you feel a well stretch in your legs at that point.
- Then, support your lower back and sucking your belly in, breathe out and fold.
- Slowly place your hands in front of you. Stretch as much as you can, if you feel uneasy then stop. Breathe deep and long during holding the pose about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Breathe out and slowly get back to your initial position.
(If you are performing Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend pose easily then go for variations by modifying the pose. On the off chance that you need to increase the extent, you should take the position, and reach for your huge toes (right to right and left to left) as you twist forward. Bolt your fingers around the toes and draw on the enormous toe as you lean in. Be that as it may, as you do Upavistha Konasana, you should likewise push through the base of the toes to keep the external and inward piece of your lower legs even. Twist your elbows on the sides, and lift them off the floor as your middle touches the ground.).
Benefits of Upavistha Konasana (Wide-Angle Seated Forward Bend)
- Activates your core muscles and stretches your hamstrings.
- This Yoga pose stimulates and toned your abdominal organs, makes your spine stronger.
- It also stretches your adductor muscles of the groin.
- Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend stretches the inside and back muscles of your legs and strengthens your vertebral columns.
- Upavistha Konasana calms your mind and relaxes your body.
- Helpful in arthritis and sciatica along with detoxifies your kidneys.
Don’t perform this stance if you are facing problems related to hamstrings or groin. In the case of lower back injury and in the condition of pregnancy avoid this. Use folded blanket for sitting if you are facing lower back pain during this Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend pose. Stretch your legs wider as much as you can.