Deviasana is also known as Utkata Konasana or Fiery Angel. Practicing Deviasana will generate not only creativity, but also emotional stability. Utkata Konasana (Deviasana) plays a part in enhancing fertility as it balances out the chakra.
- First get into the position of Tadasana (mountain pose or palm tree pose).
- Keep your arms in the resting position to the side of your legs.
- Stretch your feet and place a distance of four feet.
- Now twist your both toes in an outward direction and take a long breath.
- At the time that you breathe out, bend your knees, and ensure that they are over your toes.
- Now lower down your hip into a squat. Keep your thighs parallel to the ground or floor. (This can be happen when you practice squatting, once you perfect with squatting you are comfortable with this.
- Now spread out your arms to the side of your shoulders. (Try to keep you arms at your shoulder’s height). Your palms should face downwards.
- After that, slowly put your palms together and make a Namaste mudra and keep them close to your chest. At that time keep your forearms at a 90-degree angle.
- Ensure that the tailbone is tucked in along with your hips which are pressed forward at the time that your thighs are drawn at the back.
- Your knees should be parallel with your toes.
- Keep your shoulders softened at the time that you gaze into the skyline.
- Remain in the pose around 30 to 60 seconds.
- When you feel uncomfortable gently down your arms and get back into the starting position of Tadasana.
- Repeat this for 4 to 6 times.
Benefits of the Deviasana (Goddess Pose)
- It stretches groins, hips and your chest.
- It tones and strengthens your core muscles.
- It strengthens your muscles of inner thighs and quadriceps.
- It strengthens your arms, upper back and shoulders.
- It generates heat to your body and improves the blood circulation.
- It creates more space in the pelvis which is beneficial for women during childbirth.
If you got recent injury in your back, hips, legs or shoulders; then avoid this Asana. In high blood pressure don’t perform this asana coz this asana generates heat to your body. If you have medical issues; then it is best to consult a doctor before doing this Asana. Always perform Asana and breathing exercises under the supervision of an expert yoga trainer.