There are so many types of different Asanas in Yoga, all the asanas have their different-different body pose and benefits. Bhujangasan is one of them, it’s a very easy but important Asana. First of all, we described the meaning of the word “Bhujanga” The word Bhujanga is comes from the Sanskrit word Bhujanga, which means snake and asana mean pose, in English, we called it Cobra pose.
The pronunciation of this word is – “Bhu-Jang-GAHS-anna. If you spent some time doing Cobra pose daily, This can help to kick out stress, anxiety, and depression also from our Mind and it increases the capability of our body and strength also.
This invigorating backbend was named such because Bhujangasana reflects the posture of a cobra that has its hood raised. If you spent some time doing this Asana, can helps you to make your mind free from stress, depression, and anxiety.
If you practice Cobra pose daily this can helps to improve the strength and capabilities of your body and the main thing is that it’s free of cost, just you have to add this to your habit and in your lifestyle also. This fundamental yoga pose stimulates the digestive and reproductive systems, strengthens the lungs, and opens the heart. In this section, we are trying to tell you the simplest steps, benefits, cause, and contradiction for this Asana.
Preparation steps for Bhujangasana
first of all, you have to wear some comfortable clothes, remember don’t wear tight and uncomfortable clothes while doing any asana. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana etc is preparatory poses Bhujangasana.
- Start with lying down on the floor on your stomach at a comfortable level preferably on a yoga mat. Keep your feet together with the tops of them against the floor.
- Now spread your hands on the floor under your shoulders and hug your elbows against your rib cage. After doing this close your eyes, and inhale slowly but deeply. Imagine the stability in your pelvis, thighs and your feet tops. Imagine, that part rooted to the ground.
- Exhale gradually before opening your eyes, continue the breathing process (Inhale- exhale) slowly and deeply. As you inhale, your arm should be steadily straightened and this feels uncomfortable. Extend through and deepen your stretch to create a graceful arc in your back. Use the stretch in your legs and back, in place of exerting yourself to gain height and risk overarching the spine.
- Now press your tailbone towards your pubis and lift your pubis toward your navel, in this trying to narrow your hips.
- Keep your shoulders broad but relaxed, with the blades low on your back. Now lift from the top of your sternum, but try to avoid pushing the front of your ribs forward. Puff your side ribs forward and keep your lower back relaxed, and trying to distribute the stretch evenly along your spine. In the process of up and down, inhale when your bent upwards and hold your breath for few seconds and in a down position exhale. In an upward position trying to hold and breathe also for some seconds, and release your breath while getting back to the starting position or lying down position.
Benefits of Cobra pose
- Cobra pose helps to stretches muscles in the shoulders, chest and abdominal also. It decreases the stiffness of the lower back, and it gives strengthens the arms and shoulders.
- It increases flexibility, improves menstrual irregularities in women. Elevate mood, and this can also help in stress, depression, anxiety keep away from our minds. It firms and tones the butt area.
- Bhujangasana Improves the blood circulation and oxygen in the body, heart and throughout the spinal and pelvic region especially, and it stimulates organs in the abdomen, like kidneys. It also opens the chest and helps to clear the passages of the heart and lungs.
- Improves digestion. Gives strengthens the spinal cord. Help to soothes sciatica. It also helps to cure the symptoms of asthma.
Hand Under Foot Pose (Padahastasana)
Eight Limbs Pose (Astangasana)
Half Moon Pose (Ardha Chandrasana)
Sun Salutation (Surya Namaskar )
Caution and Contradiction for Cobra pose
- People who are suffering from back injuries are advised not to do Cobra pose. Carpal tunnel syndrome, headache and in case of Pregnancy do not try this.
Bhujangasana Tips for Beginner’s
Do not overdo the backbend, avoid straining your back to find the height at which you can feel comfortable if you feel uncomfortable then take your hands off the floor for a few moments, by which the height you find will be through extension.
Note: – Do or try Cobra pose under the Yoga instructor.
Friends do this exercise daily. It will not do if you try this asana for once only. If you really want to be fit and healthy and do it daily. Avoid late night working and fast food.
6 thoughts on “Bhujangasana The Cobra Pose-Steps And Benefits”
Very nicely explained 🙂 Thank you for sharing.
Thanx @ Pavani Bharathula, we are glad that you liked your work. Your comment is valuable and if you have any suggestions then write us.
Excellent information and education on. Yoga Well explain the steps
Yoga relives the stress keeps you alert blood pressure debiete is under control body become flexible with regular practice
Thnx for your comment. You are absolutely right, yoga kicks out the stress and makes your body flexible.
I am sure there are many who are not sure of the benefits of yoga.I am sharing my experience just to highlight the immense benefits of this wonderful system.I started yoga three years back and I am a diabetic and have problem with my prostrate as I am a senior citizen.The most direct benefit derived by me is the positive effect on my prostrate.I must say that I am very happy with the results and I attribute it to badhakonnasana among other asanas.My blood glucose levels too are well within safe limits ,of course through proper dieting.I am doing yoga every day and I Am obsessed with it.