This Yoga pose is a supine pose (Lying down) that targets hamstrings and your inner thighs. Best ideal pose for beginners. The Word Sucirandhrasana is taken from Sanskrit. In this, Suci= Needle, Randhra = Loop or hole and Asana means pose, seat or posture. In needle, there is a loop or hole for passing the thread, when you perform this asana you have to pass your hands through the space between your knees. So, this Asana is named as Sucirandhrasana (Eye of the Needle Pose).
The level of Asana: – Basic.
Another Name: – Eye of the Needle pose, Dead Pigeon pose, Knee to Ankle pose, Reclining one- legged Pigeon pose.
Focusing Chakra: – The Heart Chakra (Anahata)
Steps of Sucirandhrasana (Eye of the Needle Pose)
- First, start the pose by taking the position of Savasana (Corpse Pose). Keep your arms in resting position to your sides.
- After that, bend your knees, and keep the soles of your feet flat on the ground or floor.
- Now, separate your feet in a way that they are wide apart from your hips. Keep your thighs parallel to each other.
- Next step, straighten and raise your left leg along with extending your heel to the ceiling.
- After that, bend your left knee and cross fold your left ankle over your right knee. Bring your left outer ankle to the outside of your right knee in a way that your foot hovers in the air.
- Next, keep your left foot flex, by pressing through your heel at the same time pull your toes back toward the left.
- During breathe out; put your right knee close to your chest. Now, slide your left hand and forearm by the space between your legs. Clasp your both hands around the back of your right leg’s thigh (You may hold your shin).
- At this time, your back should be flat on the floor or mat. Discharge your shoulder blades down toward your waist and broaden across your collarbones.
- Keep your sacrum and tailbone down towards the floor and lengthen your spine.
- Contact your chin gently and keep your eyes down to the center line of your body. Remain in the pose about one minute and breathe evenly and smoothly.
- Breathe out and discharge your leg and keep your right foot on the ground. Raise your left leg straight up to the roof again, and after that bend your knee and put your left foot on the ground.
- Repeat the same steps with your opposite leg.
(You can use yoga strap if you are not able to clasp your hands around your thighs.)
Benefits of the Sucirandhrasana
- Eye of the Needle pose is beneficial in stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Stretches and strengthen your hamstring, lower back, and inner thighs.
- Sucirandhrasana Relaxes and clams your mind.
Don’t perform Eye of the Needle pose in the hip, knee, spinal or lower back injury. Pregnant women avoid this Yoga pose. You have to breathe deeply in each step. During the process, don’t lift your tailbone, shoulders, and buttocks from the floor.
(Life gives you only one chance)