Here is an interesting Pose, called Reverse prayer pose and performed in standing position. This Yoga Pose is a variation of the Tadasana. In this Asana Viparita denotes the “Behind, opposite or reverse” (in a simple word the meaning of Viparita is – opposite) and Namaskar means “giving respect or offering respect”. Generally, we fold our hands near to chest in Namaskar pose in the forward direction, but this pose is totally opposite from normal pose. In Viparita Namaskarasana you have to join your hands behind your back, so that’s why this Asana named as Reverse prayer pose. Viparita Namaskarasana is easy to do and have many health benefits. Penguin Yoga pose, Pashchima Namaskarasana is other names of this Yoga pose.
Steps of the Reverse Pose (Viparita Namaskarasana)
- First get into the standing position on the floor or yoga mat with your legs together and keep one-inch distance between your feet.
- Keep your hands hang by the sides of your legs and relax your shoulders (same as Tadasana starting pose).
- After that bend your knees a little. Now lift your hands parallel to your shoulders.
- Place your hands behind your back and keep your finger pointing downwards (At that point don’t join your palms).
- Breathe in, and turn your fingertips inward towards your spine and try to join your palms together and turn your fingertips upwards (Namaskar pose).
- Keep your knees little bit bent and your palms should be pressed strongly against each other. At this point, close your eyes and focus your mind on the word Om.
- Hold the position about 25 to 35 seconds.
- Then, slowly turn down your fingertips, discharge your palms and gently take down your hands to the sides of your legs. Take some rest and repeat the process around 3 to 5 times.
- You have now returned to Tadasana.
(You can perform this Yoga Pose in sitting positions also like Padmasana and Sukhasana; repeat the same process in the sitting position).
Benefits of Reverse Prayer Pose (Viparita Namaskarasana)
- Reverse Prayer Pose Opens up your chest and maintains your energy levels and Metabolism.
- Strengthens your shoulders, arms and targets your abdomen as well arms also.
- Best for those people who are suffering from CTS (Carpal tunnel syndrome) and wrist pain. Coz it strengthens your wrist tendons.
- If your work is based on typing, then this pose is best for you because of regular typing like 300 or 400 words in a day; this cause wrist damage. By this Yoga Pose, many acupuncture points will activate.
- Beneficial in shoulder and neck pain relaxes your shoulder blades and loosens your tight muscles of the shoulder.
- Viparita Namaskarasana alleviates stress and calms your anxious mind. Beat the stress of work or home by this simple Asana.
- It relaxes your mind, body, and soul; best exercise for relaxing.
Reverse Prayer Pose is simple and performs by any age groups of people, so there are no major precautions for this but if you have elbow injury avoid this asana. Every Asana needs guidance, so perform all the yogic activities in under the supervision of an expert.
(Eat Healthy and live healthily)