The name Naukasana comes from the Sanskrit words “Nauka” which means “boat” and the meaning of Asana is “Posture” or “seat”. So this asana is called as Naukasana. This boat pose is beneficial to cure many physical disorders. Basically Naukasana helps to strengthen the lungs, liver and pancreas. It helps to increases the circulation of blood and maintain the sugar level. Naukasana is a posture in which our body takes the shape of a boat. It makes the circulation of blood and oxygen around the abdomen and lowers back at a time much faster. Naukasana is good for those who wish to reduce belly and want to develop abs muscles.
In this section, we discuss basic Naukasana pose, because other types of Naukasana is advanced in level. First of all do simple pose of Naukasana, Once you are perfect then go for an advanced level of this Asana.
English name: – Boat pose.
Sanskrit name: – Naukasana. (Navasana).
Types: – Ardh Naukasana (half boat pose), Paripurnanaukasana (full boat pose), Ekapadnaukasana (One leg boat pose).
Steps for Naukasana (Boat Pose)
- Lie on your back with your feet together and arms beside your body.
- Take a deep breath in and as you exhale, lift your chest and feet off the ground, stretching your arms towards your feet.
- Your eyes, fingers and toes should be in a line.
- Feel the tension in your navel area as the abdominal muscles contract.
- Keep breathing deeply and easily while maintaining the pose.
- Hold the position for few seconds.
- As you exhale, come back to the ground slowly and relax.
- Duration 3-4 repetitions daily but should not overdo.
Benefits of Naukasana
- Strengthens the back and abdominal muscles.
- Tones the leg and arm muscles.
- Useful for people with the hernia.
- This Yoga Pose helps to remove belly fat.
- It improves digestion.
- Helps in developing six-packs of ABS.
- Improves the circulation of blood.
- Give strength to thigh, hips, shoulder and neck.
- Regulates the function of the liver, pancreas and lungs.
- Maintains the function of kidney, thyroid and prostate glands.
Contraindications of the Naukasana
- Do not practice this yoga pose if you have low blood pressure, severe headache, migraine, or if you have suffered from some chronic diseases or spinal disorders in the recent past.
- Asthma and heart patients are advised to avoid this pose.
- Women should avoid doing Boat pose (Naukasana) during pregnancy and during the first two days of the menstrual cycle.