Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana is a variation of Downward-facing Dog Yoga pose. But the interesting thing is that Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana is invented or formed by the Americans. It is the great alteration in an ancient Indian Yoga tradition. As we know that, India passes the knowledge of Yoga to all over the world.
India is the origin Place of Yoga. American embraced the yoga about 120 yrs back, and it’s become the important part of their life. Thus Yoga changed the mentality of many Americans regarding the term Yog.
Americans add Yoga to their daily regime by which they made their own mark or way of practice. They invented or alter many Asana according to their need, but who knows these alterations are very famous one day. American explored new poses and in their classes, there are so many varieties are present.
Most of Yoga lover of America heading towards to India for learning as well as gaining the true knowledge. After completing, they returned to their Country & spread the light of Yoga to other people. After taking the adequate knowledge from India, they are able to alter Yoga Poses.
One leg downward facing dog pose is one of the important poses done by most of American’s in the daily morning practice. It is simple to perform but benefits you a lot.
Asana Name – One leg downward facing dog pose
Sanskrit Name – Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana
Level of Asana – Basic & Intermediate (if you extend your leg)
- The Wisdom Chakra (Manipura)
- The Root Chakra (Muladhara)
- The Third Eye Chakra (Ajna)
- Eka – One
- Pada – Leg
- Adho – Downward
- Mukha – Facing
- Svanasana – Dog
Steps of Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana (One leg downward facing dog Pose)
- First, stand properly from standing position gently go to Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-facing Dog Pose).
- Breathe in and raise your left foot off from the floor and lengthen (extend) your leg behind you.
- Note that your hands and right foot should remain on the ground.
- Try to maintain the balance when you lift up your left foot.
- But not to lift your left hip, you’ve to keep your hips parallel and squared to the ground/floor.
- For maintaining the balance spread your fingers as much as you can. Also, you firmly grounded your right heel on the ground and little extends it towards the back.
- Shift and maintain your body weight on your both hands on right leg.
- Keep your head downward. Remain in the pose for 30 to 60 seconds to hold your breath also. Exhale and bring down your leg.
- Again, with inhale lift up your right leg and follow the same process.
- Perform this Asana about 6 or 10 rounds.
Tips for beginner’s
- Before performing follow the instruction carefully.
- first of all, brushing up your basics level of Asana.
- Basic Asana will prepare you for more upcoming advance Asana.
Benefits of One-Legged Downward Facing Dog Yoga Pose
- Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana kicks out anxiety, stress, depression, and fatigue.
- Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana gives you relief in insomnia and calms your mind.
- One leg downward facing dog pose stretches and strengthens your hands, shoulders, and calves.
- Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana also improves your digestion.
- Can relieve insomnia, headaches, backache and menstrual pain.
- Avoid Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana in the condition of High blood pressure.
- In the case of CTS (Carpal tunnel syndrome) also avoid Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- Breathe deeply during all the process.
- You may make Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana more complex by extending your lifted leg towards your head (bend your lifted leg).
- If you’re suffering from diarrhea then also avoid Eka Pada Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- Follow all the Yogic activities in front of a good trainer.
(Do whatever you want to do)